
Nine years ago and 32 minutes ... Louis and I completed a very big job together. He was brought into this world - purple and with George Clooney hair - looking like a little old man. He has since, continued to touch our hearts and we are so thankful for him. Lou-man (as he is known around our home) is one of the most generous, kind-hearted, intelligent and profoundly sensitive kids I have ever known. When most kids in Sunday school were asking who Jesus was, Lou was praying that God would make him a prophet like Elijah or John the Baptist. When the other kids were telling the grown-ups "I want to be a police officer or a firefighter or a mountain lion when I grow up" Lou was saying "I think God wants me to be a pastor" (after he finished reading Rick Warren's the 'Purpose Driven Life' at age 6! :0) His prayers and thoughts have astonished our family time and time again and blessed us with his sincerity and genuine faith.
Lou's favourite hobby is fishing (a noble and honourable past-time for many great lives who have gone before you, Lou :0) And although I call it a hobby - Lou treats it more like the greatest calling a person can have. To acquire the patience, skill and wisdom needed to catch fish is his most passionate past-time. (I had some shopping to do in Wal-Mart one day. Louis asked if he and Gina could check out the 'fishing' aisle. I said 'alright' but that they were not to move from that spot. When I check my watch, it was almost 45 minutes later and I was concerned that I had left them too long. I hurried over to the 'fishing' aisle, thinking that they would have moved onto the Toys. Not so. There they were, stacking bait jars and organizing flies. Louis was explaining to Gina the value of the "Tom Thumb" fly and how many fish he had caught with this particular bait. In true fisherman spirit, the size and weight of the catch tends to increase with every telling; although he would deny this fervently. :0)
I have rarely seen adults with the determination he has to achieve his goals (as long as it is a goal worthy in Lou's eyes of putting his effort toward). Tony asked Louis toward the end of the summer if he had considered trying a new instrument, having taken violin lessons for 2 years already. We have told the children that they must learn a musical instrument for 2 years - but then they may change instruments if they choose. (Music Lessons, however, are not optional :0)In true Louis fashion, his answer was a simple, "no thanks, Dad. I'll stick with the violin," showing, yet again, his ability to take the road less travelled and commit himself to a worthy goal.
Louis, you consistantly illustrate the definition of a "magnanimous" person (one who is very generous, kind and forgiving). You think big thoughts and yet maintain the heart of a true servant and friend. Louis, it is an honour to call you our son. You are a blessing to all who know you. We love you and thank God for you.
Happy Birthday!
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
For Our Beautiful Boy
Posted by
Ms. Stephanie
at
10/03/2006 10:58:00 a.m.
1 comments:
Louie has always been gifted with awareness of the unseen. When I read your statement about Louie I couldn't help but think how one day his awareness will be used to help him as a fisher of man.
Norm
Post a Comment