Saturday, September 23, 2006

The Feel of "Fall"

Here's a link to enjoy some Beethoven:

http://www.lvbeethoven.com/Oeuvres/Music_MidiSonatasPiano.html

It's autumn once again and I love the feel of the fresh autumn air. For years Tony and I would take the kids to the park and take "Fall Photos". We haven't done it for a few years and this year I really want to re-new that old family tradition.

I always get so excited when I think about Thanksgiving. It is definately one of my favourite holidays. I love the season and the opportunity to focus on what I'm thankful for. I was chatting with my sister today and we both agreed that each new season is an exciting time - a time of renewal and something to look foward to. I know a family that actually does their family "Gift-Giving" exchange at Thanksgiving, rather than at Christmas! That way - they are able to show their thankfulness for each other during the "Thankful" season and focus on the coming and birth of the Lord Jesus during Christmas. I like that idea very much. Hmmmm . . .

Anyway, I can't wait to put out the pumpkins, squash and the cornucopia. Lou's birthday is coming up as well - and I love thinking about how thankful we are for our kids, too. We have been especially blessed this year with God's provision spiritually, emotionally, relationally and materially. I pray that we have also become a blessing for others in His Name as well.

It's funny - when we moved, I was so determined to decorate with blues and beiges (like Jenn E. said to me "Summer Colors"). But guess what has happened? We're right back to the Fall colors in our decorating!! (Except - thankfully noted by Tony - it's NOT on our walls this time; just in our furniture and curtains! :0) He says, "Well, I guess it suits us . . ." Hmmm. I wonder why? What does Autumn represent that is like us? Something to ponder . . .

Well, the kids are outside rounding up the last of the caterpillars and lady bugs for the season :0) Tony is "snug as a bug in a rug" - snoozing before work tonight and I'm spending some lovely, quiet time meditating on being thankful and listening to "Adagio" by Beethoven. Lovely!

Here's something to think about . . . the concepts of ownership and control. If you believe that EVERYTHING belongs to God and that God is ultimately in control of EVERYTHING . . . then why do we try to hold on so tightly to the things of this world; things that are temporal? Why do we try to control our surroundings and the circumstances of our life? I'm not saying that we shouldn't put EFFORT into living out our beliefs and values. Only that, like my friend Terry says, "God is not against effort - just against EARNING. The results are always up to Him." Do we own even our most precious memories (or our worst?) Or are they squewed by our human, fallible perspectives - founded in subjective, self-centred reasoning? Are they not just lessons offered by God to allow us opportunity to draw nearer to Him on every occasion?

Our time on earth is SO short. And time itself is measured only by human perspective based on our shallow frame of reference we call "experience" (of which even the foundations of science are based. :0) When God allows us to see our lives and experience in light of His perfect plan and His desire to share ETERNITY (of which we cannot fully "humanly" comprehend), then only those matters of greater, 'eternal' value take priority in our hearts and minds. We receive from God earthly gifts like love, family, marriage, parenthood, childhood, "senior"-hood, sisterhood, brotherhood, friendship, service, vocation, Sabbath, etc. etc. And as we receive these precious gifts, we offer our worship - our offering to God in thankfulness for His grace and mercy.

As our eyes become more fixed on His glory and holiness - then it's like we receive nutrients for our soul - eternal gifts - like a flower, our roots dig deep into His "Soil" (His Truth) and we reach and hunger for more of His "Light" (Jesus) and His refreshing "Rain" (the Holy Spirit). And eventually, we find that spiritual fruit is evident in our daily lives (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Gal5:22)

So, this Thanksgiving, maybe we can look around at the people in our lives and see with eternally vision those things that God is "growing" in us all. Perhaps we can offer a loving hug or holy kiss in His Name - thankful that we have someone to offer His loving ways to. Perhaps we can say 'thank-you' to the Lord for His faithfulness and for always knowing what we need (even when circumstances that seem difficult). Maybe we could even offer a hand of forgiveness to someone who may have wronged us (whether they know it or not) sacrificing our pride and letting go of our fear - rejoicing in the glory of God. Rejoicing in the One who offers His hand of forgiveness, His arms of love and His kingdom to share. Amen.

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

It doesn't feel much like fall today but I'm looking foward to Thanksgiving as well!