Saturday, March 24, 2007

Amazing Movie!



Last night we took the girls to see 'Amazing Grace' - the story of abolition in Great Britain as led by William Wilberforce and including the sub-plot of John Newton. It was a wonderful, wonderful movie. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!! It's one to own ... it's rated PG but there was nothing in it that our girls couldn't handle - it was a serious movie but focused on Wilberforce's character and trials (more than the disgusting practice of slavery and the violence that we all know happened at that time). We are very glad we went! (And it was very nice to get out of the house ... :0) At one point John Newton says, 'what I know is that I am a very great sinner and Christ is a very great Saviour' ... there were a handful of agreements in the audience! And at the end, of course, Maria clapped and cheered!

Afterwards, we stopped to get gas for the jeep and ran into a young couple with aryan nation symbols on their garb (to match their partially shaved heads and green hair). They were VERY intoxicated and used extremely bad language in front of our two girls. I was watching the scene from the jeep (the girls had gone in with Tony to buy slurpees) ... I saw the look on Tony's face as he turned around to confront these two young people (it was like it was in slow motion) ... as I jumped out of the jeep to get the girls out of there, Tony addressed them quickly, quietly and appropriately to 'watch their mouths'. The store clerk reminded these two that it was a public place and they should watch their language. We got out of there as fast as we could ... but it was a serious reminder to us (especially after JUST watching a movie like 'Amazing Grace') that these issues are still around even today - sadly ... My consolation and conviction is to ensure that my children watch movies like this and that we help them to THINK about these issues that they are still being faced with. I'm thankful Tony and I were there for them ... it may not be the same way next time - and what will they think? How will they stand up for what is right if they have not seen their parents do the same? We have a great responsibility to continue the good fight and speak up for Truth and Justice ... well ... enough soap box for this morning :0)

Today is Recital Day ... both the girls are playing in a piano recital for the eldery this afternoon. They are both very excited about this ... Tony and I are so proud of the hard work and dedication with which they approach their music (and studies). I love that they are excited about sharing their gifts and talents with those who may not be able to get out and about to seek music and the arts for themselves. It's a blessing we are happy to share in ... I'll add pictures and stuff later.

May you know the richness of God's blessings today!

0 comments: