Tuesday, May 15, 2007

With the passage of time ...

Today is my mom's birthday! So as I thoughtfully reflect on my mom and as Mother's Day has recently past (and all the wonderful hand-made cards have been given along with the heartfelt and carefully crafted goodies from my three blessings), I thought I would compile a list of some of my favourite "mommy" moments. Here goes:



From my childhood and beyond .... :

* Mom always oooed and aaahed over my frequently made MUD PIES as though they were the greatest creations ever! (and they were actually pretty amazing :0)



* Mom bought me a hotwheels race track, He-Man action figures and Barbies ... she was so cool! (Never did get a Ken doll though ... :0)



* Mom thought playing "slappsies" was fun ... especially if I won ...



* Mom always screamed really loud when I hid rubber snakes in her bed (even if she wasn't that scared ... )



* Mom let me go to my neighbour, Tod P's 6th birthday party even though I was the only girl invited ... she even let me change out of my pink, frilly dress and into my dirty ol' jeans to go play in the park ...



* Mom came to EVERY piano lesson I ever had ... for 11 years!!! And bought me a new outfit for every song I played in every music festival ...



* Mom let us listen to Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, Louis Armstrong, Elvis, ABBA and Dr. Hook ... she even tolerated my Bon Jovi/Guns n' Roses/Poison phase ...



* Mom always waited up for me ... even when I was 22 and visiting for the weekend :0)



* Mom held my hand when I announced (rather loudly, between sobs) that Tony and I were having our first child ... :0) And she stayed for a week after all three were born to help out ...



* Mom still makes the best homecooked meals EVER ... and it doesn't really matter what she makes ...



From my motherhood (so far):

* The Classic "Sharing M & M's With Louis" story ... you've all heard it ... never stick your baby's finger in your mouth when you think he's sharing chocolate with you ... trust me ...



* Regina and Louis having a "baby-powder fight" from across the room, in their cribs ... and having to shut the door while we (not too successfully) tried to stifle our laughter.



* Forgetting Maria when she was 6 months old in the van when taking Louis and Regina for swimming lessons ... then remembering half way into the pool and having to run back to the parkade ... she didn't miss us :0)



* Potty training three kids ... and growing the conga-line to the big potty with each new accomplished "Pottier" and singing, "pee pee in the potty ... pee pee in the potty, yah!" ... enough said ...



* Although I wasn't personally there - it's still one of my favourite stories - the time Regina pulled the fire alarm at the bank and ALL the firetrucks/police cars showed up ...



* Learning that when Maria says, "Don't tickle me - I'm gonna pee!" that she really means it :0)



* Maria peeing on Jenn while she was trying to position our family for our Christmas photo



* Returning the dog bone and teething ring to their rightful owners (i.e. Louis and Rosie) after Lou had decided to 'share' ...



* Watching Regina and Maria wipe out an entire adult ski-school class on the bunny hill after they adamently assured us they KNEW how to stop!



* Learning that Lou had asked our neighbour's little girl if she knew Jesus ...

0 comments: