Raising kids ... hmmmm ... I definately don't have it all figured out - I'm humbled at every turn and grow ever more appreciative for my own parents (what we put them through - aieeesh) ... I am also reminded OFTEN of how much I need the Lord and all that He offers to me freely, by His amazing grace (wisdom, provision, protection, guidance, discipline, blessing upon blessing ... ) I can't do much on my own (I am reminded of this every time I try).
My prayer this morning:
"Lord, thank You that You care about me SO much that You care to discipline me, correct me and humble me. Thank You that You are always with me and will never leave me. I pray that I will sow a great offering of spiritual fruit into the lives of my children and all of the people You have allowed me the opportunity to get to know - I pray that, insodoing, I would reap a harvest of great intimacey with You, Lord and that You would be pleased with the meditations of my heart. Thank You that You hear my prayers and know every hair on my head, every thought in my mind, every desire of my heart.
Thank You that You love me.
I pray, in Your precious Name, Lord Jesus.
Amen."
I've recently started listening to a local AM station ... It plays some good ol' classic country tunes (my fav), airs "Hank Hanengraff (sp?) The Bible Answer Man" - love him ... and even Paul Harvey does the news (I didn't think he was still around ... I grew up listening to "The Rest Of The Story" every morning over breakfast - it was as common an occurence as my mother's "Stew In The Crockpot" deal ... I still can't eat stew ... :0) I also heard a message from Chuck Swindoll (another favourite).
Anyway - this is what I heard this morning:
A Diamond Rio song - not a timeless classic ... but it made me smile ...
"Those are just wrinkles - ain't nothin' to be afraid of . . . "
Chuck Swindoll -a message that, as I momentarily tried to pray for another, I was seriously convicted in my own heart ... God is good and doesn't let me get away with much - to HIS glory, I praise Him for that!:
"Pride is a disease that hurts the people around you. It alienates you and makes it hard for people to get near you" - YIKES!!!
And then, when I got home - my sister had sent this email to me ... God bless her (the conclusion said something to the effect of 'you have touched my life and are special to me') Likewise, Shell ... thanks :0)
SHOES IN CHURCH
I showered and shaved............... I adjusted my tie.
I got there and sat.............. In a pew just in time.
Bowing my head in prayer......... As I closed my eyes.
I saw the shoe of the man next to me..... Touching my own. I sighed.
With plenty of room on either side...... I thought, "Why must our soles Touch?"
It bothered me, his shoe touching mine... But it didn't bother him much.
A prayer began: "Our Father"......... I thought, "This man with the shoes.. Has no pride.
They're dusty, worn, and scratched Even worse, there are holes on the side!"
"Thank You for blessings," the prayer went on.
The shoe man said......... . A quiet "Amen."
I tried to focus on the prayer....... But my thoughts were on his shoes Again
Aren't we supposed to look our best.. When walking through that door?
"Well, this certainly isn't it," I thought, Glancing toward the floor.
Then the prayer was ended............ And the songs of praise began.
The shoe man was certainly loud. ........ Sounding proud as he sang.
His voice lifted the rafters......... His hands were raised high.
The Lord could surely hear.......... The shoe man's voice from the sky.
It was time for the offering......... And what I threw in was steep.
I watched as the shoe man reached.... Into his pockets so deep.
I saw what was pulled out............ What the shoe man put in.
Then I heard a soft "clink" . As when silver hits tin.
The sermon really bored me.......... To tears, and that' s no lie..
It was the same for the shoe man..... For tears fell from his eyes.
At the end of the service........ As is the custom here
We must greet new visitors.......... And show them all good cheer..
But I felt moved somehow............. And wanted to meet the shoe man
So after the closing prayer.......... I reached over and shook his hand.
He was old and his skin was dark.... And his hair was truly a mess
But I thanked him for coming......... For being our guest.
He said, "My names' Charlie............ I'm glad to meet you, my friend."
There were tears in his eyes......... But he had a large, wide grin
"Let me explain," he said........... Wiping tears from his eyes.
"I've been coming here for months.... And you're the first to say 'Hi.'"
"I know that my appearance........."Is not like all the rest
"But I really do try................."To always look my best."
"I always clean and polish my shoes.."Before my very long walk.
"But by the time I get here..........." They're dirty and dusty, like chalk."
My heart filled with pain............ And I swallowed to hide my tears
As he continued to apologize......... For daring to sit so near.
He said, "When I get here..........."I know I must look a sight.
"But I thought if I could touch you.." Then maybe our souls might unite."
I was silent for a moment............ Knowing whatever was said
Would pale in comparison... I spoke from my heart, not my head.
"Oh, you've touched me," I said......"And taught me, in part;
"That the best of any man....."Is what is found in his heart."
The rest, I thought................. This shoe man will never know.
Like just how thankful I really am...That his dirty old shoe touched my Soul.
I showered and shaved............... I adjusted my tie.
I got there and sat.............. In a pew just in time.
Bowing my head in prayer......... As I closed my eyes.
I saw the shoe of the man next to me..... Touching my own. I sighed.
With plenty of room on either side...... I thought, "Why must our soles Touch?"
It bothered me, his shoe touching mine... But it didn't bother him much.
A prayer began: "Our Father"......... I thought, "This man with the shoes.. Has no pride.
They're dusty, worn, and scratched Even worse, there are holes on the side!"
"Thank You for blessings," the prayer went on.
The shoe man said......... . A quiet "Amen."
I tried to focus on the prayer....... But my thoughts were on his shoes Again
Aren't we supposed to look our best.. When walking through that door?
"Well, this certainly isn't it," I thought, Glancing toward the floor.
Then the prayer was ended............ And the songs of praise began.
The shoe man was certainly loud. ........ Sounding proud as he sang.
His voice lifted the rafters......... His hands were raised high.
The Lord could surely hear.......... The shoe man's voice from the sky.
It was time for the offering......... And what I threw in was steep.
I watched as the shoe man reached.... Into his pockets so deep.
I saw what was pulled out............ What the shoe man put in.
Then I heard a soft "clink" . As when silver hits tin.
The sermon really bored me.......... To tears, and that' s no lie..
It was the same for the shoe man..... For tears fell from his eyes.
At the end of the service........ As is the custom here
We must greet new visitors.......... And show them all good cheer..
But I felt moved somehow............. And wanted to meet the shoe man
So after the closing prayer.......... I reached over and shook his hand.
He was old and his skin was dark.... And his hair was truly a mess
But I thanked him for coming......... For being our guest.
He said, "My names' Charlie............ I'm glad to meet you, my friend."
There were tears in his eyes......... But he had a large, wide grin
"Let me explain," he said........... Wiping tears from his eyes.
"I've been coming here for months.... And you're the first to say 'Hi.'"
"I know that my appearance........."Is not like all the rest
"But I really do try................."To always look my best."
"I always clean and polish my shoes.."Before my very long walk.
"But by the time I get here..........." They're dirty and dusty, like chalk."
My heart filled with pain............ And I swallowed to hide my tears
As he continued to apologize......... For daring to sit so near.
He said, "When I get here..........."I know I must look a sight.
"But I thought if I could touch you.." Then maybe our souls might unite."
I was silent for a moment............ Knowing whatever was said
Would pale in comparison... I spoke from my heart, not my head.
"Oh, you've touched me," I said......"And taught me, in part;
"That the best of any man....."Is what is found in his heart."
The rest, I thought................. This shoe man will never know.
Like just how thankful I really am...That his dirty old shoe touched my Soul.
I pray that you will be blessed today in the knowledge of the Lord's glorious ways ...

0 comments:
Post a Comment