Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Little Break From Exam Stuff ...

I have been cramming for an upcoming piano 'pedagogy' exam (that's a big teacher word :0) ... So, for a little break - Tony took the kids and I (his idea !!) to the Provincial Park near our NEW HOME!!! We finally found a place and we will be moving at the end of next month - Praise God!!! The last month has been an emotional roller coaster for me as we put our house up for sale, sold it (in ONE week!), said "Arrivederci" to my mom and dad as they left for Italy, travelled ALL over the countryside to find a new home, celebrated our 10th anniversary (for better or for worse!!! we're still hanging in there!!!), FOUND a home, tried to focus on my rather indepth, upcoming exam, welcomed my parents home from Italy and between it all, I am recovering from a MAJOR head cold (two people actually thought I was a GUY on the phone ... lovely :0). Phew! Anyway ... the break was a welcome distraction today.

I thought I would share a funny story with you. After the kids went to bed last night, Tony and I watched a movie (well - I watched the movie, Tony snored on the other couch ... just a typical Saturday evening in our home ... and, I know, not unlike MOST homes of couples who have been together for awhile ... :0) After the movie was finished, we prepared to go to bed ... Tony let the dog out, I turned off the lights, etc. When he came inside, he said to me, "You should see the amazing moon out there tonight - and all the stars! It's a beautiful sky!" So ... I made my way to our back deck and stood there staring at the sky for quite some time ... it really was beautiful.

Now ... I don't know about you ... but I assumed that Tony would be on his way back outside to share this beautiful view together (seeing as he had made a point of wanting to share his reaction to this beautiful creation in the first place, yes?) ... you know ... 'a moment' ... Well .... I stood there for awhile and eventually thought, "I'm getting kind of chilly out here ... " So - I eventually made my way back inside ... As I approached Tony (he was feeding the dog and clearing the kitchen cupboard), I said, "Were you going to join me out there?" And as his eyes met mine, we began to laugh hysterically at what had just happened ...

We hugged and laughed and hugged and laughed some more ... You see - for us - this was 'a moment' ... it was one of those 'typical' moments where I expected one thing while he was completely oblivious to my expectation and so I stood on the deck alone while he finished the jobs he had on his mind. The best part is that because we are learning to know ourselves (and each other), we can laugh at the situation which helps solidify our marriage and our love - we can laugh at ourselves and accept each other "AS IS" ... it really was pretty funny :0)

(BTW - 10 years ago ... I probably would have stood out there freezing until he finally showed up and then had a tantrum that he had left me standing there for so long ... he still would have been oblivious to why I was upset and felt like he'd messed up and therefore he would have put up his defensive wall, got all silent on me and it would have taken 6 hours of arguing to clear it up before going to bed exhausted and upset ...) I wouldn't go back to being a newlywed FOR ANTYHING!!!!

Anyway ... here are some photos of our hike today ... I hope you enjoy them! We had a lot of fun ...

2 comments:

The Buckley's said...

Do you mean your kids the dears or do you mean the DEER
LOL
Norm

Ms. Stephanie said...

Heehee ... missed that one! Blogger needs to get SPELLCHECK!! But both the kids and the DEER were cute :0)