Yikes! Is it ever cold out there! It's rather deceiving because the sun was shining so beautifully today ... but as soon as you step outside - that cold air bites at your cheeks! Ouch!
Well, we're back into the swing of things once again. School has begun again and violin and piano lessons are back on track.
I had an interesting conversation with my father yesterday evening. I am hoping to achieve my Licentiate (not licentious, right Terry?) level in music for teaching. However, I have come upon a road block. It seems, a pre-requisite to this level is Grade 8 Theory (under the London College of Music which is in the UK). I considered doing an Associate level Performance exam instead to try and get around this theory issue (I REALLY dispise theory :0) but alas ... it seems as though one of the components to the Associate Performance level is also a heavy-bit of theory. Ugh!
So, as I was explaining this to my father he said, "So what?! Theory is what it's all about! You should do the theory!" Although my mother was substantially more sympathetic to my whining (she has a musical understanding of the "ugh" of theory :0), my father's words hit a nerve.
"What are you talking about?", I exclaimed, "Theory is just TALKING about music instead of MAKING music! What came first the chicken or the egg?!", I asked. "Music was around long before anyone wrote it down and started analysing it!" But there it was ... the question of our humanity ... My father just laughed and said, "You should do the theory."
I came face-to-face with my own procrastination and unwillingness. I love to create a deep and philasophical argument about almost anything at all, rather than deal with the issue that is staring right at me! It seems, if I'm going to carry on with my studies, I must complete my theory.
Isn't this what we do with our relationships and especially with our relationships with the Lord? We say, "Ok - I'll forgive him/her for this ... but THAT .... THAT I won't forgive" or "Ok, Lord, I'll trust you in this area of my life ... but don't even go THERE!" Either we do or we don't - either we will or we won't. Yet, as black and white and simplified as that seems - the process of transformation is quite different.
As I sat in the doctor's office on Monday (for the second time since I became ill) I bowed my head and breathed a silent prayer while I was waiting. An overwhelming sense of peace came over me and I heard myself praying in my mind, "My health is yours, Lord - my health is yours - come what may." I feel much better and I'm on the mend but more than that - I feel at peace deep within in a way that can not be described.
It takes time to realize that once we come to know that GRACE and MERCY have been given freely to us, we only have to receive. There's nothing else to it. Our transformation comes from the understanding of who the Lord is and how He loves us. Everyday, that knowledge can change, if we let it - if we meditate on it - if we receive it.
I watched an interview on 100 Huntley Street yesterday morning with Phil Vischer (is it Phil? I think so ...) Anyway, he's the guy who created "Veggie Tales" (the reason we can associate so many "classic" songs with Bible Scripture - for example, 'The Bunny' or 'My Name is Daniel...' :0) Anyway, he said, 'until we realize we can just exist WITH God, what we do FOR God is just out of our own ideas and strength' (kind of paraphrased). It was an awesome interview and you could tell he was a man that had been humbled and been through a few things and come out the other side ... WITH God.
So, back to my theory ... I guess I will spend some time in prayer and ask God if this is the direction I am to go ... and if it is -I'll pray that He makes me willing and grants me the grace, strength and wisdom I need to complete the task, for His glory alone. Pray with me? Thanks!
"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4 4:4-7
Thursday, January 11, 2007
"Rosie-Cheek" Weather!
Posted by
Ms. Stephanie
at
1/11/2007 06:47:00 p.m.
0 comments:
Post a Comment