I have been unbelievably ill the last two and a 1/2 days. I've had horrendous chills, fever, muscle & joint aches that were, at times, almost unbearable. Then, a day into my own illness, Regina became ill, AGAIN, with the stomach flu. It has been a wicked flu season - and we've been hit something awful. It looks like we're going to make it and I finally feel well enough to sit up and type a few cohesive (hopefully) words ... although, I have been mixing up my thoughts in recent dialogue with my children :0) For example, "Regina, put that dog in the fridge." WHAT?! or "Louis, call your teeth." WHAT?! Anyhow, this probably isn't really that far from the norm :0)
So, with thanks for prayers and the precious care from family and friends (and some pretty blue antibiotic pills for me!) - we are on the mend. God is good and has seen us through.
I've just put Regina down for a good night's rest. She was a little upset this evening. You see, her sister has gone to spend the night at Mita and Pito's (upon her request) and her brother has gone for a sleep over at his friend Stephen's house. Tony is working - so that left just the two of us! Things went alright for awhile ... we watched Limmony Snicket's "A Series of Unfortunate Events" (a favourite for both of us) ... ate dried croutons with apple juice and followed up with a dose of "Just for Laughs" - the Gags reel. (I'm going to have to explain myself to Tony for that one in the morning - something about a fake peeing baby ... oh well - I was just glad that Regina had perked up and we were able to share a laugh) BTW ... right about now I know my mother is thinking, "Yup, she's definately feeling better ... the words are flowing again!" :0) Luv you, Mom.
Anyway, bedtime came around, too soon, as far as Regina was concerned. But, be that as it may - the inevitable is just that. After a rather thorough teeth brushing and a loooong good-night to each of our animals, Regina got herself into bed and waited for me to come tuck her in. As I climbed the stairs to her room (resting on every third stair to catch my breath and try to stop my head from pounding with the increasing elevation :0), a fond memory came to mind. I remembered when Regina was just a baby. I would get up 2 or 3 times in the night to feed her in her little nursery. I would hold her in my arms and sit in the rocking chair, in the dark and sing to her, quietly. It was an amazing moment for just the two of us. (She wasn't old enough to criticize my singing abilities or my need for a breath mint yet :0) But, seriously ... those moments are really precious for me and tonight as I knelt beside her bed, I reminded her again of how I used to sing her to sleep when she was still small enough to fit in the crook of my elbow. (She's heard the story alot - but still loves it!)
When Louis was born, our entire world changed. There is no other event I have experienced that changed my life like the birth of our firstborn child. He was and is a miracle to me. And then came Regina.
She was the easiest baby I could have imagined. She was always so content - no matter what the circumstances. We were in the midst of buying our first home one month after she was born and then we hurridly tried to finish a basement on top of it all! It was utter chaos for the first couple months of her life - yet she peacefully watched all the action with those big brown - wait - HUGE brown eyes staring out at us from her comfy little spot in the second hand car seat (thanks to Auntie Shar and Uncle Mark). I had to set a timer to feed her because we were so busy and she would never cry! After the work was all done and things started to settle - I found myself carrying her around all day long. I just loved to hold her and be near her and watch her beautiful face. I would stir soup for Lou while I held (and fed) Regina with my other arm. That was quite a trick! She was a comfort to me then - and she still is. She has been a comfort to many others as well.
When my sister, Shelley, had her gall bladder out, Regina was visiting Nonna and Pop. She held her hand and stayed by her side (I think Regina was 5? at the time). She tucks my dad into bed before for his sleep before he heads out for another shift in his big coal truck when she is there. She makes lunch, washes dishes, sweeps, dusts and has always cheerfully given her opinion on parenting tips for me! :0) And when my mother's very good friend died in November of this past year, Regina was there. She stayed with my mom for hours at the hospital and held her hand and prayed for Margaret - and she didn't want to be anywhere else.
Regina says she wants to be a doctor someday. This Christmas, Tony and I bought her an "Anatomy Torso" with a stethoscope and game cards. My nephew Taylor and I tried to answer some of the questions on the game ... it was a little tricky with Regina pronouncing the rather long words :0) We managed to get about a 1/4 of the answers between the two of us. Ah well ... I hope that if this is the plan God has for Regina's life, that He blesses her greatly with courage, ability, determination, perseverance and much grace to accomplish her goals and see her dreams fulfilled.
Regina, you are a blessing - you are a gift ... and I am so thankful for you, my sweet baby girl. Here's your song, babe. Enjoy :0)
Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory ance grace
Regina, I love you
Regina, I love you
Regina, I love you, my dear
Love, Mom
0 comments:
Post a Comment