Tuesday, December 19, 2006

4 More Sleeps 'Til Christmas Eve!!!

How excited are we?!?!?! I called my sister yesterday at work singing, "It's beginning to look alot like Christmas ..." Although the snow has almost disappeared and the roads and lawns are brown and dirty, I have a light feeling in my heart and Christmas Carols on my lips.
I spent most of my day today with my dear friend, Terry. (Mom #2 :0) She graciously took me to my doctor's appointment and waited so patiently for 2 hours until I was finished ... although my mom can't always be arms-length away (as much as I know she'd like to), I'm glad that God brings people like Terry into my life and blesses me with love and affection (and the occasional kick-in-the-pants! :0)

I've been thinking about what it means to have "Godly character" lately. What does it mean to be Christ-like? What does it mean to live out our faith? I hope in the Lord to continue to change my ways to be more like Him and feed on the daily bread that He provides for my soul. This morning the kids and I had a rough start to our day ... we all woke up cranky and bickering. Once we got out the door and headed off to school, we started to talk about what just happened. We were all feeling bad. So I suggested we spend a few minutes in silent prayer and then we'd pray together. After we finished praying we talked some more and then I asked the kids if they had a Scripture that we could think about throughout our day. Something to bring to mind when we knew we were beginning to struggle in our own thoughts or behaviours.



I was amazed at how the Holy Spirit taught me through my kids this morning. They each spoke Scripture that they had learned and memorized in school. Louis spoke from Psalm 121, "I lift my eyes up to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip - He who watches over You will not slumber, indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep." Regina spoke from Ephesians 6, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother - that it may go well with you." Maria spoke from 1Corinthians 13, "Love is patient and love is kind."




Of all the gifts that we will open and share this Christmas, I am most thankful for the way God has always known what we need. The children needed to know that they are loved and accepted this morning - no matter what ... and I needed to know that God hears my prayers and to be Christ-like as a Mom is to seek the Lord and trust that He is ever-watchful over my life. And as I continue to be nourished and grow in His love, I will be worthy of my children's obedience and become more and more patient and kind.




Today, Terry bought me a wonderful present - a book that I have been wanting to read for almost 2 years (has it really been that long?!?! Yikes!) Anyway, it's called "The Practice of the Presence of God" by Brother Lawrence. In truly "mother-ly" fashion, as I asked Terry to write in the front of my book out of my sentimental heart, her quick response was, "Merry Christmas! Read it and do what you're told!" I love her :0) I've started it already and it's everything I hoped it would be and more. Here's an excert I hope you'll enjoy as much as I did - it's from the chapter called "Conversations" as told by a colleague:




"So, likewise, in his business in the kitchen (to which he had naturally a great aversion) which I can completely sympathize with, S :0) having accustomed himself to do everything there for the love of God, and with prayer, upon all occasions, for His grace to do his work well, he had found everything easy, during fifteen years that he had been employed there.




That he was very well pleased with the post he was now in; but that he was as ready to quit that as the former, since he was always pleasing to himself in every condition by doing little things for the love of God.




That with him the set times of prayer were not different from other times; that he retired to pray, according to the directions of his superior, but that he did not want such retirement, nor ask for it, because his greatest business did not divert him from God.




That as he knew his obligation to love God in all things, as as he endeavored so to do, he had no need of a director to advise him, but that he needed much a confessor to absolve him. That he was very sensible of his faults, but not discouraged by them; that he confessed them to God, but did not plead against Him to excuse them. When he had so done, he peaceably resumed his usual practice of love and adoration.




That in his trouble of mind he had consulted nobody, but knowing only by the light of faith that God was present, he contented himself with directing all his actions to Him, i.e. doing them with a desire to please Him, let what would come of it."




You know when you're reading a really good book and you pause every few moments to really absorb what you're reading and savour the wisdom while you let out a sigh of peace and contentment? That's what this book does for me ... it's like a hug :0)

0 comments: