Friday, February 23, 2007

LOTR Returns ....









I think my legs are losing circulation in them ... I've been at the computer for soooooooooooo long! My dissertation is almost finish - on my (hopefully) final edit of my essay and then ... onto my analysis - YIPPEEE! I think I'm starting to go a little wonkee! 16 days to go!!!!!!!!



As much effort that this whole process requires, I still feel so thankful to know that God has said, "Go here - do this ..." and I am overwhelmed by the knowledge of His will for me - He has blessed me hugely with my piano studio and all that I've learned for the last 5 years. I am so thankful for this path and the second chance He has given me to pursue the dreams He gave me so long ago. When I studied piano many, many, many years ago in my youth, I never envisioned myself as a teacher - I only knew how much I loved to play and share my passion for music! Yet, had I been faced with the same opportunities I have now back then, I know I would not have appreciated them nor been able to commit to the fulfillment of those dreams - because I did not yet know the strength, wisdom and courage that comes only from the Lord. He is patient! And now I can say, 'it's all His' ...



So ... on with the day .... :0) Tony and I took Lou to play some badminton this afternoon. It was a great diversion. The boys kicked butt, so I bowed out of the second game and wandered the library for an hour. It was very quiet and peaceful :0) Of course, I came out with an arm load of books: biographies on Chopin, Prokofiev, Robert Schumann and a few other 'musical' things. Then I got onto a gig about "books on tape" (I am trying to give up 'random TV' watching for lent). Patrick O'Brian (I think?) ... the same guy who wrote "Master and Commander" ... and some Chicken Soup for the Soul, Preteen Stories for Lou.



The three of us had a conversation about fasting on the way home from badminton. We usually try to do something as a family at this time of year. We're a little late getting started - but I don't think that's really the point anyway :0) I suggested media (TV, radio, cell phones). Tony suggested eating out. Lou suggested getting up early (har har har). So, I guess we'll go our own way this year. But we did discuss the importance of 'spiritual disciplines'. It's like Tony going to the gym consistently. He says he does that for his work; to be safe and strong and maintain focus. I say - it's exactly the same thing for your spiritual life: to maintain focus, be strong and stay safe. I used to think there were three important, but separate, elements to our existence - mental, physical and spiritual. I used to think that we could only have our attention turned to one at a time.



Now, I think that they are not separate elements at all, but that they all mesh together into one defining experience that flows from the One Living God - our Source and Salvation. Now I see many elements, outside of the single, self-centred existence of my past. In addition to these three, there are elements of relationship, finances, service, vocation and many more! When we neglect any of the parts of the whole, the others suffer too. God is always revealing Himself to us in special and unique ways - in all of the areas. That's why I receive so much spiritually when I'm studying and teaching piano. That's why Tony feels the closest to God when he's working out. We are all so different and God knows our needs :0) There just isn't one way to grow ... now if I could figure that out for my kids :0) hmmm ...



Well, we got home - I made some chocolate cupcakes (from scratch!!!! What?!?!?! I know .... it must be the fresh air and sunshine - has anyone noticed it's still light out at 5:30?!?! YAY!) Anyway, the boys are just finishing the first disc of the Fellowship (LOTR) and I'll be checking on my cupcakes soon.



Here's a scripture I like to read as a reminder of how God has saved me from all my 'old demons'; the sickness of sin that used to rule my existence (mind, body and soul):



"I said, 'In the prime of my life, must I now enter the place of the dead? Am I to be robbed of my normal years?' I said, 'Never again will I see the Lord God while still in the land of the living. Never again will I see my friends or laugh with those who live in this world. My life has been blown away like a shepherd's tent in a storm. It has been cut short, as when a weaver cuts cloth from a loom. Suddenly, my life was over. I waited patiently all night, but I was torn apart as though by lions. Suddenly, my life was over. Delirious, I chattered like a swallow or a crane, and then I moaned like a mourning dove. My eyes grew tired of looking to heaven for help. I am in trouble, Lord. Help me!'


But what could I say? For He Himself had sent this sickness. Now I will walk humbly throughout my years because of this anguish I have felt. Lord, Your discipline is good, for it leads to life and health. You have restored my health and have allowed me to live! Yes, it was good for me to suffer this anguish, for You have rescued me from death and have forgiven all my sins.


For the dead cannot praise you; they cannot raise their voices in praise. Those who go down to destruction can longer hope in Your faithfulness. Only the living can praise You as I do today.


Each generation can make known Your faithfulness to the next. Think of it - the Lord has healed me!


I will sing His praises with instruments every day of my life in the Temple of the Lord"


Isaiah 38:10-20

0 comments: